Slightly Stoopid - Meanwhile...Back At The Lab - 2015 Reggae Ska Alt Punk 2LP + Slipmat
Slighty Stoopid - Meanwhile...Back At The Lab
Label: Stoopid Records SR011LP, Controlled Substance Sound Labs SR011LP
Format: 2 × Vinyl, LP, Album, Gatefold
Includes full album download card.
Released: 30 Jun 2015
Style: Ska, Dub, Reggae
2 This Version
3 The Prophet
4 Hold It Down
5 Fades Away
6 Fuck You (feat. Beardo)
7 Time Won't Wait
8 Rolling Stone
9 Guns In Paradise
10 Come Around
11 Call Me Crazy
12 One Bright Day (feat. Angela Hunte)
13 Life Rolls On
14 What Your Friends Say
Slightly Stoopid grow and explore new music with each new album. MWBATL is an eclectic mix of the sounds we've heard developing over the course of 15+ years. It's got touch of the punk roots (although that was never my thing), some psychedelic with a touch of funk, some reggae, some ska, some tastes of the blues sound
I love the diversity on this album. There are a ton of great tracks on here. My favorite song on this LP has to be Come Around. Some of the sickest effects and sound in that song. It sort of reminds me of Silence from the Dirty Heads. Very well executed. I'll go through this album track by track, since I haven't seen anyone do that yet on here.
1. Dabbington: Good instrumental song, but not their best song without lyrics.
2. This Version: Great reggae vibes on this song. It reminds me of old-school roots reggae.
3. The Prophet: Great reboot of a classic song by these guys. I'm glad they did it because it sounds better than the original.
4. Hold It Down: Really like this song, very catchy chorus and definitely one of my faves.
5. Fades Away: A song about how seeing the one you love helps all the pain and bad stuff fade away.
6. F*** You: I'm not a punk rock fan for the most part. This song really is not my cup of tea.
7. Time Won't Wait: Crazily good jazzy instrumentals on top of both guys singing. Good song.
8. Rolling Stone: Kyle McDonald sings through this track about traveling away from his girlfriend/wife. A song about being on the road all the time and how it can damage relationships.
9. Guns in Paradise: Really dig this song. Kyle sings this song alone as well. Great, great sound to this track. Deep reggae vibes with horns and great singing by Kyle.
10. Come Around: One of the best songs I've heard these guys make. They both sing on it with great chemistry and the song is extremely ambitious and creative. I especially like the chorus: "So when you come around, the word on the street's always lookin' for somethin'. It's always comin' on, the lights on the street and the people are jumpin'. And nobody will know your name. And every city [something] people will change." Sorry, can't find the lyrics yet to these songs.
11. Call Me Crazy: A love song about how "some call me crazy, you're my only lady. Sure looks good to me." It's a good song, but it's a bit repetitive at times
12. One Bright Day: A ukulele song that just sounds awesome. Angela Hunte sings the second verse. Another one of my favorites.
13. Life Rolls On: A nice, laid-back track that will put you in a mellow mood. Highly recommended.
14. What Your Friends Say: It's an all right song if you're in the mood for it, but it's not nearly as creative as so many of the other songs on this album.